Friday, February 6, 2015

Are you a thinker?

A noted psychologist once quipped that:

only 2% of us think,
3% of us think we think, and that
95% of us would rather die than think.

Now that may have been an attempt at humour, but even so, I am reminded of the statement, “Whenever you encounter humour, seek out the hidden truth.”

Several years ago I mentioned these figures at a study session I was conducting for a small group of, what I thought, were educated, thinking people. I expected guffaws and laughter as the response.

What I got was absolutely astounding. It was immediate, and angry. Comments like, “What do you mean, I don't think?” and, “Where did you get such stupid statistics?”

To a person, without giving the statement a moment's consideration they had classified themselves as part of the 98% of non-thinkers!

Interesting? Yes?

Samantha

No comments: